Lanny's Holiday Party Hat
It's hard to match Lanny's enthusiasm -- a veteran like Wayne might say he's over the top. This cheery holiday party hat is modeled after Lanny's own and reflects his positive attitude.
- Lanny's Holiday Party Hat Template
- Cardstock or heavyweight craft paper, green (one or more shades) and yellow
- Glue stick
- Twist tie
- Glue dots
- Several strings of small beads or costume jewelry chains to use as garlands
- Colorful buttons and/or faux gems
- Stickers (optional)
- Large-eyed sewing needle
- Two lengths of ribbon (15 inches or so) for chin ties
1. Print the template and use the pieces to cut out the tree semicircle and quarter-circle shapes from green paper and the star shapes from yellow paper. Glue the two quarter-circle pieces together, overlapping them in the center to form a large semicircle, as shown.
2. Shape each of the semicircles into a cone and glue the overlapped edges together.
3. For the treetop decoration, bend a twist tie in half and glue the folded portion to one of the stars. Glue the second star to the first, matching up the edges and sandwiching the twist tie between them. Then insert the twist tie ends down through the opening in the top of the smallest cone. Spread the twist tie ends apart inside the cone and use glue dots to stick them to the paper.
4. Use glue dots to attach a string of beads or a costume jewelry chain garland-style around each of the cones. When you're done, stack the cones from largest to smallest (with the seams lined up at the back of the hat) and use a few glue dots applied between the layers to hold the cones together.
5. Decorate the assembled tree with button or faux gem "lights" and sticker ornaments.
6. Use the needle to thread the top of a ribbon tie through one side of the hat (from the inside out) 1/2 inch or so from the bottom. Remove the needle and knot the ribbon on the outside of the hat so that it won't pull back through. Attach the second ribbon to the other side of the hat in the same manner, and the hat is ready to wear.