Pirates of the Caribbean
During On Stranger Tides, Captain Jack Sparrow reunites with Angelica, a beautiful and mysterious past acquaintance, and possibly the only woman to have ever stolen Jack's heart. Inspired by Angelica's sense of style and humor, this lacy crossbones-topped heart will make a fun addition to any young pirate fan's jewelry stash. It can be worn as a pendant, hung up as an ornament, or tied to a backpack or purse.
- Cross-My-Heart Pendant Template (or heart-shaped cookie cutter, about 2 - 2.5 inches across)
- Polymer clay
- Wax paper
- Rolling pin
- Plastic knife
- Paper clip
- Paper doily
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Craft paint and paintbrush (optional)
- Flexible craft wire
- Glue dots
- Ribbon or jewelry chain
1. Print the template and cut it out.
2. Roll a hunk of polymer clay between pieces of wax paper so that it is about 3/8-inch thick. Use the template and plastic knife (or a cookie cutter) to cut out a clay heart.
3. Create a hanging loop at the top of the heart by pressing the lower portion of a paper clip into the clay and then smoothing the clay over it.
4. Turn the heart over and place a piece of a paper doily on top. Very gently roll over the paper with a rolling pin to imprint the doily design in the clay. Peel off the paper, and bake the clay heart on a foil-lined baking sheet as directed on the package.
5. Once the heart cools, paint it if you like.
6. Now it's time to make the crossbones. For each bone, twist together the centers of two 3.25-inch lengths of flexible craft wire. Then curl the tips at both ends, as shown.
7. Use bits of a glue dot to attach the bones in a crisscross shape on top of the heart. Thread ribbon or a jewelry chain through the hanging loop, and the pendant is ready to wear.