My son wanted a cake that was "out of the box" he loves his Air Jordan's, so I thought why not make him a shoe on the shoe box.
3 yellow cake mixes prepared as directed, fondant, food coloring, homemade rice crispy treats, butter cream icing. Food coloring markers, Air Jordan logo, dowels.
The shoe was molded by hand using rice crispy treats. After the shoe was molded it was iced with butter cream icing and covered with fondant. The Air Jordan logo was simply printed on paper covered with tape and cut in the outline as designed. The logo was affixed to the cake using a dab of icing. The entire shoe was decorated in fondant. The writing on the shoe was done in edible food coloring markers. The cakes were prepared as directed, stacked one above the other. It was iced with buttercream icing and covered in fondant. The shoe box was decorated as a NIKE shoebox. Once the shoe box was completed dowels were inserted to keep the layers in place. The shoe was then placed on the cake on the dowels with a dab of icing to hold in place.
Contest Photo Tips and Guidelines:
- Avoid clutter. Keep the background simple -- your cake is the star!
- Daytime, natural light is best. If your area is bright enough, try taking the photo without the flash.
- Upload a horizontal photo. If you crop the image on your computer, make sure you keep a landscape 4:3 aspect ratio.
- For best results, make your image 1200x900 (or "save for web").
- With a digital camera, you can take as many photos as possible and choose the best one. Have fun!