My cake was inspired by the Disney movie "Tangled." I created this cake for a friend of a friend's daughter, who was turning 7. She LOVES the movie Tangled, and my friend thought an over the top cake would really surprise her.
Chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, cereal treats, fondant, modeling chocolate, gum paste, edible paints and markers.
I started this cake by going to the hardware store to get a heavy wooden base, pipe and flanges, which I used to create the structure. I wrapped the pipe with cereal treats and then covered that with modeling chocolate. I then stacked the chocolate cake, wrapped it in fondant, and added fondant and gum paste decorations. The roof is made from cereal treats, and hundreds of gum paste tiles. I attached a hard plastic plate to the top of the pipe using another flange, and then hot glued the cake board to the plate. I "glued" everything together using royal icing, and then hand painted the decorations using edible paints. I also added details with frosting, such as the flowers and leaves.
Contest Photo Tips and Guidelines:
- Avoid clutter. Keep the background simple -- your cake is the star!
- Daytime, natural light is best. If your area is bright enough, try taking the photo without the flash.
- Upload a horizontal photo. If you crop the image on your computer, make sure you keep a landscape 4:3 aspect ratio.
- For best results, make your image 1200x900 (or "save for web").
- With a digital camera, you can take as many photos as possible and choose the best one. Have fun!