I created this birthday cake for my husband, who loves the show Phineas and Ferb. Phineas and Ferb are riding a wave on a surfboard and agent P is sneaking away from them on the side of the cake.
Homemade yellow cake, buttercream frosting, gum paste, graham cracker crumbs and rice crispy treats.
First I baked the yellow cake and when cooled, layered and iced the cake. I molded the wave that Phineas and Ferb are riding out of rice crispy treats. The wave was then placed on top of the cake and I then covered the whole thing in icing. I used can spray food coloring in blue to color the wave. Then I covered the outside of the cake in graham craker crumbs. All characters and accents were made out of gum paste and supported with toothpicks and lollipop sticks.
Contest Photo Tips and Guidelines:
- Avoid clutter. Keep the background simple -- your cake is the star!
- Daytime, natural light is best. If your area is bright enough, try taking the photo without the flash.
- Upload a horizontal photo. If you crop the image on your computer, make sure you keep a landscape 4:3 aspect ratio.
- For best results, make your image 1200x900 (or "save for web").
- With a digital camera, you can take as many photos as possible and choose the best one. Have fun!