I made this cake for my brother's birthday. Mario is riding his go kart trying to win the mushroom cup while dodging obstacles.
Homemade yellow cake, buttercream icing and fondant.
First I baked the cake and after cooling I layered the cake with buttercream. I then carved the cake to make a road for Mario to drive on. The cake was then iced with green tinted frosting. I used fondant to make the road and all characters and accents. Lollipop sticks were used as supports. The happy birthday sign was made from gum paste and food color markers were used for the words and accents.
Contest Photo Tips and Guidelines:
- Avoid clutter. Keep the background simple -- your cake is the star!
- Daytime, natural light is best. If your area is bright enough, try taking the photo without the flash.
- Upload a horizontal photo. If you crop the image on your computer, make sure you keep a landscape 4:3 aspect ratio.
- For best results, make your image 1200x900 (or "save for web").
- With a digital camera, you can take as many photos as possible and choose the best one. Have fun!