The theme for my son Cameron's first birthday party was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. This cake was so much fun to make, it looked beautiful and tasted delicious!! The handmade lollipops really made it special.
The top tier (6 inch) was a dark chocolate cake with raspberry filling, and the bottom tier (8 inch) was vanilla cake with buttercream filling. The lollipops are handmade from homemade marshmallow fondant. I used gumballs and candy sprinkles (to resemble Nerds)on the top of the tiers.
The cake itself was pretty easy to make. I just baked and stacked the two cakes and frosted them using techniques I have taught myself from youtube videos. The fondant lollipops were fun to make!! Challenging at first, though. I made the fondant (melted marshmallows with powdered sugar and a touch of water) and separated it into different balls and colored them. Then, I rolled out a piece about the size of a pencil, and rolled out another piece in a different color to be the same size. I twisted them together and then rolled it up to make the lollipop! I tried doing it flat on the countertop, but it was much easier to hold it in my hand the entire time. Once it was in a circle shape, I put it down on wax paper and very carefully slid in a sucker stick through the bottom. I made them about 2 weeks before the party, just in case they didn't work out as planned, but they were PERFECT!
Contest Photo Tips and Guidelines:
- Avoid clutter. Keep the background simple -- your cake is the star!
- Daytime, natural light is best. If your area is bright enough, try taking the photo without the flash.
- Upload a horizontal photo. If you crop the image on your computer, make sure you keep a landscape 4:3 aspect ratio.
- For best results, make your image 1200x900 (or "save for web").
- With a digital camera, you can take as many photos as possible and choose the best one. Have fun!