I made this cake for a benefit. A guy I graduated from high school with was killed in a snowmobile accident, and every year since they hold this benefit to raise money for scholarships to give away.
I used one marble, one white, and one chocolate 1/2 sheet cake, buttercream frosting and fondant.
I layered all three sheet cakes with buttercream frosting in between. I then cut out the middle where the seat is, and carved the back end and hood. The cake was then crumb coated. I dyed 1/2 of my fondant black and covered the back end and the front was covered with white. I dyed about 1/8th of the fondant grey and used that for the running boards, and some of the trim. I put in the headlight, tail lights, handlebars, skis and drew on the details with edible markers and some with a pastry tube. The windsheild is cut from cardstock and covered with tinfoil, I taped some toothpicks in between the tinfoil and cardstock to hold it in place on the cake.
Contest Photo Tips and Guidelines:
- Avoid clutter. Keep the background simple -- your cake is the star!
- Daytime, natural light is best. If your area is bright enough, try taking the photo without the flash.
- Upload a horizontal photo. If you crop the image on your computer, make sure you keep a landscape 4:3 aspect ratio.
- For best results, make your image 1200x900 (or "save for web").
- With a digital camera, you can take as many photos as possible and choose the best one. Have fun!