It was my son's 1st birthday and I could think of no one better for his cake than Oscar the Grouch. My son has a plush Oscar the Grouch that he carries with him everywhere. The cake was a hit! He even had a cookie monster small cake for his smash cake. Although, advice to parents, blue frosting is probably not ideal since it got everywhere!
Butter cake with chocolate buttercream frosting. And of course plenty of fondant. The entire cake was edible except for Oscar's head, which was a Styrofoam ball and the trash can lid, which was cardboard wrapped in fondant.
The trash can portion consisted of five layers of butter cake. Four doll rods were place through the layers to create support for its height. Between the cake layers was a relatively thin layer of the chocolate buttercream frosting. Fondant was used to wrap the "trash can" portion, Oscar's facial features and for all the "trash" that was scattered around the can. Oscar's green fur is green food-colored buttercream frosting.
Contest Photo Tips and Guidelines:
- Avoid clutter. Keep the background simple -- your cake is the star!
- Daytime, natural light is best. If your area is bright enough, try taking the photo without the flash.
- Upload a horizontal photo. If you crop the image on your computer, make sure you keep a landscape 4:3 aspect ratio.
- For best results, make your image 1200x900 (or "save for web").
- With a digital camera, you can take as many photos as possible and choose the best one. Have fun!